"Life happens when you are busy making other plans." -John Lennon

Monday, January 08, 2007

addictions

My life is full of addictions. Addictions to nothing that threatens my life or threatens the life of others, but addictions nonetheless. When I find something or someone new that just makes me happy or gives me even a little enjoyment I get hooked. Some foods get me physically addicted, while there are people and things that simply have me hooked emotionally.



A recent addition to my list...Chipotle. Though I'm sure most of you would agree with me on this one also. All in all, I am just addicted to good food, whether that be Chipotle or home cooking.


India: In the end it is my motherland. Had you asked me even 5 years ago if I would ever be as hooked on it as I am now I would have said no and written you off as crazy. Yet, here we are in 2007 and I have just wrapped up my 7th trip there in 3.5 years. I may never settle there, in fact I don't plan on it, but I would have serious withdrawal without visiting often. It's vastly different from anywhere I was raised, yet I don't imagine ever losing this feeling I have for India.


Blogspot: jana, and Annie, and Liz made me do it. Thanks for supporting this addiction ;) It's soothing when I need to vent, and its just fun when I want to kid.



My favorite person...my cousin Srikar: I didn't really get to know this guy until a few years ago, but I'm so glad I did. He's got a great head on his shoulders and I know he's going places. I may not talk to him everyday and sometimes that's tough. Yet, when we do talk I am simply so happy and can't help but smile.








My family: my mom and all her siblings and their families are a dynamic group of individuals. Life is not always roses with this family but the good far outweighs the bad. Through it all I am obssessed with every facet of their lives and I would not give them up for anything in the world. Much like I am with my cousin, when I get up in the morning and all throughout the day I will automatically calculate the time difference in my head and wonder what they are doing at that moment. My daily thoughts are caught up in them, no matter where I am and what I may be doing. That's an addiction.


The Internet: I really don't know how I ever lived without it. It all started with AOL back in 7th grade and look where I've come. I'm blogging about it. I now check my email maybe 20 times a day. I am such a slave to cyberspace.



Photos: If you've been in my room (or an my blog) you know about this one. There is hardly wall space remaining and absolutely no table space left without frames on it. There are photos of family and friends in my car, all over the house, on my iPod, on every computer in the house, and on every possible photo hosting site I am registered with. Photos capture memories for me and I love having visible memories all around me.



As long as I'm alive and for as long as I have a heart I'll be forming new addictions...to people and places and things. Most of them will come and go, but only a few will remain engraved in me. These are the addictions that I don't mind having, that the world doesn't mind me having. I'm in a way grateful to all of these things, because in some way or another they shape me and make me what I am. These addictions are at the foundation of what drives me. So isn't that what an addiction does? What are your addictions?

2 comments:

Liz said...

gI am addicted to running. I literally freak out when I am on vacation and the hotel doesn't have a gym or is on a busy road. Do you think some "addictions" are actually good? I mean, how can it be bad to be addicted to running, or miss your family like that? I propose it isn't :)

Amulya said...

thats what I'm saying...addictions can be totally good...and happy to have them ;)