"Life happens when you are busy making other plans." -John Lennon

Monday, February 05, 2007

"You Know My Name"



Amelia - Amolea - Ahmullaya - Ammonia - Bob



I've been called all of those things. And not necessarily because the person attempting to pronounce my name thought it was funny...just because they didn't care enough to really try. I used to think it was no big deal when people would fumble over my name. Infact, I still don't really care so much, but it does get a bit annoying at times.

At least I no longer have to sit through roll call on the first day of class when the instructor pauses, crinkles his forehead, and stares straight down at the class list in sheer fright when he sees my name. More often than not I could place myself alphabetically in the list so I would know when to scream out loud "here" before he/she started to sweat.

There are some people who actually take the time out to learn the pronounciation. Then there are others who just decide to call it a day and slap a sticker reading "Hello My Name is Bob" on my shirt. I have to say I like the former. While I wasn't the one who chose my name, I have to say I've grown quite fond of it. Just as how most everyone else has taken a liking to their own name. So, I think it of it as not so much to ask for anyone meeting me to at least try to greet me properly.

Of course there are nicknames and pet names I have acquired over the course of my life from friends and family. Am, Amu, Ammers, Amulu...to name a few of my more endearing names. Those are all well and good. At least I know they have all tried and could very well say my name regardless...and well hearing my pet names is somehow even better than hearing my real name. Hearing it gives the relationship some history and depth. It's the people who don't take the minute to try that bothers me.

So I don't quite remember what my point was in writing this post. I think it might have been simply that your name is something that you carry with you for your entire life. Everyone has one, and everyone deserves to be known by it. And no it's not cool if you call me Bob.


4 comments:

Liz said...

So, in Life of Pi, the main character's name is Piscine (french for pool) and everybody, including his teachers say it incorrectly as "pis-sing" as opposed to "pizzine"....

So, not sure what my point is. But, what's in a name anyways?:) Maybe someday, you'll find a bar, where everybody knows your name.... wow...I think it's time for me to go to bed.

jmjana said...

listen. I thought that you were writng some underlying post to me until the second to last paragraph. I LOVE calling you ammers and i was like, OH NO, SHE HATES IT!

We need to discuss your bday

Anonymous said...

Do you remember (or did I ever tell you)that when I was six, I wanted to be called by your name? I had heard your name meant "precious" and I liked that better than mine. For one day and one day only, I insisted that your name be mine. I know you like that, don't you?

Amulya said...

Yesss! I feel so good knowing that someone was jealous of my name! Even if just for one day. (It's "priceless" by the way...just sayin')

And Jana...that's odd because you have never thought my posts or away messages were about you before ;)