Borat: view at your own risk

Sasha Baron Cohen is a funny guy. Ali G, Jean Girard from Talladega Nights, even Borat are all incredibly funny characters this guy brings to life. I'm not gonna lie...this movie was funny. Mostly for the fact that it mocked America in all its incredibly unwarranted ignorance, bigotry, and sexism. It captured the essence of seemingly unaware Americans in their everyday lives. Without the context of this "unaccustomed Kazakh", I wouldn't have batted an eye at the people depicted on screen. Yet, with Borat there to bring out all their idiosyncrasies and all their raw emotions, it's quite easy to draw humor from certain American lifestyles.
That being said, I feel it my obligation to warn anyone and everyone who has not seen this movie... this was perhaps...scratch that...this was THE crudest movie I have EVER seen. I took a break from my unusually stressful holiday weekend to go see this movie. And I can't say it was a welcome distraction. It was crude and it was vulgar. Of course, the story and the jist of the movie sort of requires this pervasiveness, but sometimes too much is just too much. There is a certain hotel room scene involving Borat and the fat guy that would not lend to an X-rated screenplay, let alone this one.
So it was funny, but it was crude beyond words. It was raunchy enough to the point where I felt dirty being seen walking out of the theatre.
Eventually, I'm sure you will see at least a portion of this movie. So just let me know what you think. I was disgusted, yet chuckled the whole way through. What's your take?


4 comments:
I'm really not that wild about seeing it...:) so it might be awhile before I have an opinion!
I saw it with two faves and we were shocked and appaulled like you said but laughed the whole time.
Borat.
sarah,
why haven't you commented yet????
am i saw it with annie and sarah and the only thing that would have made it better is if you were there
can you PLEASE move down here!??!?!??!?!?!?!?!?
and i felt like a HORRIBLE person after watching :(
Post a Comment