"Life happens when you are busy making other plans." -John Lennon

Friday, November 17, 2006

Why I'm a Michigan fan



I'll admit it, I'm a Michigan fan. I have been ever since I can remember. I always thought I would go to college at UofM. When I was young I told every one of my parents' friends that I was going to go to the 7 year medical program up in Michigan and be a doctor. Yeah right. When I look back on that I think I only said that to get all those doctors off my back and let me be a kid. Then my dad starting working up in Ann Arbor doing some intensely brainy sort of job for the university that only a biomedical engineer could do, and I was hooked.
I followed the Fab Five even when Chris Webber proved he was dumber than he looked in the National Championship basketball game. I was glued to the tv each and every time Michigan has been at a Rose Bowl in my lifetime.
I'll be honest and tell you college football is not too exciting to me anymore. Yet, I know this game is huge. It is every year, and it is even more so this year. And no matter how many years it gets to be down the road, I will always be a Michigan fan....because Michigan to me is my childhood. It's car rides up to Ann Arbor for dinner with my family, it's little UM souvenirs my dad would bring back from work for me, it's the 'Pubs of Ann Arbor' t-shirt my dad bought for me when we walked down State Street in Ann Arbor...which was the last time my dad and I really hung out - just the two of us. So basically, being a Michigan fan to me is like being a fan of my dad. Just like Michigan he didn't always win, he didn't always lose, he had his ups, he had his downs, but through it all I've been a fan. And I always will be.

No comments: