"Life happens when you are busy making other plans." -John Lennon

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

"Eyes Open"

I love to people watch. I think it's my favorite past time, after eating of course. And people watching while eating = good times. Just imagine the entertainment derived from figuring out the relationship between the odd couple sitting next to you. Imagine the possibilities!
One time, at a coffee shop, I had my eyes and ears on a couple in the corner. The guy was crying about how his wife at home doesn't talk to him anymore, while the woman was crying because this same guy was breaking up with her. Oh yeah, just imagine all the analyzing that was going on in my head. Then I love seeing dads out and about with their little kids. It's possibly the cutest thing in the world. And I just can't keep my eyes off it. There are all sorts of little and normally mundane things that I notice...who opens the door for whom, how close people sit and talk to one another, body language, facial expressions.
Of course, nowadays, its fairly easy to learn a lot about a person just by the way they talk on their cell phones in public. The reserved ones won't even answer when the phone rings, or will keep their end of the conversation quiet and brief. The obnoxious ones will let "Sexy Back" play the full loop before answering. The self-concerned ones will continue a cell phone conversation while at the cash register or customer service counter.
Ahh, I just love people watching. You know you love it too...just keep your eyes open.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I love this. One of the reasons I love the movie Love Actually so much is the opening/closing scene...just observing people at the gates of the airport...you can really see all kinds of love there. And, shoot, by observing people you can see just about anything:)
I observe people all the time...usually I am interrupted by my sister telling me I have a staring problem :)

Annie Michael Murphy said...

Or "My Humps"

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

am. just wanted to say hi. i like reading your blog.

hi.