"Funny How It Fades Away"
Here's a topic:
I don't celebrate Easter, or even Christmas for that matter. So, I don't even pretend to know the true meaning and significance of the holidays. I am, however, quite perplexed as to what the Easter bunny and painting eggs has anything to do with the resurrection of Christ. Kids are often brought up to believe the Easter bunny is real. That, and he comes down the chimney just like Santa Claus?!?! What's that all about? I had a good discussion the other day with a friend, another non-Christian, where we contemplated the meaning of said Easter bunny and his/her place during the Easter holiday. I posed the thought that to most young people, the true significance and depth of a holiday like Easter, while not void of meaning, has no entertaining value. Only with some tangible means of celebration, i.e. sitting on the Easter bunny's lap or going on an egg hunt, can one make a connection and find gratifying meaning to the holiday. Eventually, the notion of that entity's existence fades away, and meaning of the holiday may or may not be found.
While I am not against the idea of the Easter bunny or festivities surrounding the holiday, I just don't quite get the concept. In the culture and religion in which I was raised, there are no conjured up representations of faith or spirituality that come anywhere close to Santa Claus or the Easter bunny. While I admit that the origins of Santa Claus and the Easter bunny are infact there, I suppose I just don't agree with how they have become tried and true representations of much deeper and meaningful spiritual occassions.
Discuss amongst yourselves...


No comments:
Post a Comment